Monday 26 November 2018

Rumble in the Jumble (of blocs)

Full of a cold I needed an easy day out at the weekend to blow away the cobwebs but not be too taxing! Jack and some Invernesians were going to Torridon on Sunday for a bouldering session so I decided to head over with Callum from Avoch (who I met on the Adventure Photographer Course) to do a little photography and maybe scamper on some rocks, depending upon how I felt. So the Invernesians were to be our models whether they liked it or not!

warm up wall - unknown climber
Unfortunately they hadn't read the memo and were all wearing dark/black clothes which was rubbish. Check the two pictures on 'worry bomb'. I persuaded Eelco to turn his jacket inside out to get the orange - some colour thank god. But if Fin had on at least a colourful top this would have been better. 

Fin on 'worry bomb' f7a
Also I had to crop 'Fins' shot quite heavily to get some folk out of it who were just standing around. I thought it would be a good shot with just a single climber in frame so persuaded Jack to stay a short time, take off his coat (nice blue top) and play on the problem a little more.

Jack on 'worry bomb' f7a
The number of boulders at Torridon seems infinite, its just such an amazing place. There were around 10 folk there on Sunday which made it seem reasonably busy for the Highlands. The ship boulder is the most iconic bloc in the Highlands. 'We' lay on our bouldering mats a few hundred meters from it taking some shots through the cotton grass. The first image (below) is okay showing two different problems being tackled, and again enhanced by Jack's red trousers. Unfortunately the sun had gone at this point.

Ship boulder - the most famous bloc in the Highlands
The second shot caught a brief moment of nice light.. but I had to crop the left side of the boulder as the other 2 boulderers weren't doing anything and were distracting in shot. Jack did eventually complete the highball arete and I wished I'd waited, but it would have meant lying for quite a while. I guess I learnt that patience could of paid off in this instance.

Jack on the f6b highball arete
It was a cold wind so trying to find sheltered problems was the key. We stayed for 4 hours before retreating. I hope to go back when on better form to try more problems now that I have seen what's on offer. What a great craic.

Fin looking for the pads and an escape..

1 comment:

  1. It was really an amazing blog, acquired great knowledge from this looking forward for more blogs like this. Even we have some education related blog that will help for better future Rumble Jumble

    ReplyDelete