Monday 5 October 2020

The Cairngorm Project - rags to riches

After the feast in Blair Atholl things felt much better.. Shaw enjoyed his big battered sausage and I managed to secrete a couple of pizza slices I couldn't eat into bike bags for later as Shaw and Judith made a cup of tea on the park bench. 



Later than anticipated I chivvied us on again into the dusk. Positive that we now had a road section as it would be quick going, bad because we didn't have lights! We quickly got to Bruar and took the minor road (sustans number 7) North parallel to the A9. It was dark at this point so we dug out the head torches.


We looked at a couple of random patches of earth by the road to camp, but they weren't great so we pressed on. When the no.7 headed down a dead end road things became more viable and we quite quickly found a flattish area in tree's just off this cycleway/minor road. It was a much milder night and we soon cracked open the wine and enjoyed slobbing by the tents under the tree canopy whilst listening to the traffic on the A9 close by!


In the morning I went down through the forest to the really beautiful river. It was a great spot, with no real sign of human activity apart from a rusted out metal mattress frame part way down the slope, probably from the ?dump, now grassed over that we had slept on!


I desperately needed the toilet so crouched behind a big rock over a dug hole watching the beautiful tree's gently sway, and the river chug and bubble past down beyond my makeshift privy. I then became aware that lots of leaves were falling on me from above, but they didn't seem to be coming down elsewhere. I craned my neck looking up and saw a lovely red squirrel above in the tree's.... when I recounted this tale to Shaw he sensibly pointed out that it was probably annoyed with me because I was shitting in it's winter nut stash!



We packed up, all in good spirits, Judith slightly surprised that she hadn't been given breakfast in bed today! I was really stiff, and tender in the rear (!), so it was good to have a long flat, quiet road section to start us off. 



The route trails the A9 North for a while, then crosses it and goes uphill and off road all the way to Inches/Glen Feshie area (sort of). I haden't paid attention, or even looked and expected a big old grind of a hill. It wasn't! It was lovely, gently uphill on estate tracks into a really interesting area I knew nothing about. 



I found it a really uplifting day following Edendon Water gently uphill, passing the fascinating derelict Sronphadruig Lodge to Loch an Duin and the watershed. We stopped near the loch and made coffee/tea sitting in the grass eating snacks in the sun with not another soul around. I was truly happy and content at this point as we just enjoyed the surroundings, had a bit of banter and drank coffee lying in the grass. It was a reminded to me that I never do this, but it's so rewarding. 



The single track alongside the loch was great fun, like seriously good fun sadly finishing at a beautiful ford at the North of the loch. From here miles of track dropped to Gaick Forest (forest in name only in this area) passing further lochs into Glen Tromie. 



Eventually we hit a minor road, that alternated between tarmac and gravel and we saw the first people of the day, two bike packers heading in the opposite direction. Glen Tomie is really long with breaks of native forest along sections of its length. 


Onward, onward...to Tomie Bridge and the first road in many, many hours. From here it's beautiful minor roads to Feshie Bride. By this point Shaw and my rear's were feeling pretty tender! I didn't ask Judith so can't comment as to the state of hers! I was still very much enjoying the day but still a little way to go. 


Surprisingly Shaw briefly appeared to be broken at Feshie Bridge, lying down in the carpark and not responding to banter! Very rare, I thought he was unbreakable!


From here you have loads of options to finish but I'd picked some great single track through the forest to Loch an Eilein before hitting the main trails that lead back to Loch Morlich and the vehicles!

We did it! Shaw speeding ahead on the last few miles on the road and making a cup of tea for Judith's arrival whilst we shared a much earned beer. In summary it was a tough 3 days, and I admit I am glad we did it over 3 days and not 2! It was so good, and so much more varied terrain and scenery than expected that I can't wait to do it again sometime soon!  


No comments:

Post a Comment