Thursday 26 December 2019

Christmas Day jaunt

Work patterns meant that I had to be close to Inverness over the festive period. Although it meant that I missed festive parties back home I did get to go on a nice bike ride on Christmas Day.



The weather dictated that the Cairngorms had the best weather so I headed South to Glen Feshie and some festive trails. Obviously the roads were quiet and shops were shut in Aviemore, but surprisingly the garage was open and had 5 staff working! It was busy and I grabbed a coffee and pastry on my way past - well it was Christmas.

River crossings are easy on this bike
I parked at Feshie Bridge and headed South on deserted trails. To be honest I've never met another biker or walker on these specific trails! 


The only company I had were chickens, a Highland cow and Eagle for the first hour or two. At the far end of Glen Feshie I crossed the river to take in another favourite trail. I love this end of the glen with the braided river system. I must take Kev back here again (minus the river crossing) to appreciate this area as I'm not sure how much he took it in last time on our 80km ride!

The road to...


To find the path of least resistance across the river I had to look around and ended up initially walking along a dried up stream bed. On my old bike I would of had no choice but to push on the cobbled river bed, but then it (slowly) dawned on me that I wasn't on the old bike and thought I'd try and ride it. I was astounded by how easily the new bike was able to glide over this terrain and then the river! Amazing!

Back in the forest - the bike blends in!
After exchanging festive chat with a holidaying Dutch family I headed West to pick up the Badenoch Way which would lead me back North. Again such quiet trails.


Admittedly my feet were numb at the end after the river crossing, but this is such a great 50km loop (40km without the detour at the far end!) and I must take Abi and Kev on it sometime as I'm sure that they would love it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment