Monday 10 September 2018

Ups and downs on the West Coast

With a late change improved forecast for the West I changed my mind from mt biking in the Cairngorms to head West and I'm glad that I did.

Gairloch
The ride I planned started at Slatterdale on the way to Gairloch, and I guess I didn't have high expectations for it as I thought that it would be inferior to Ben Damph, but surprises were in store for me.


The parking by Loch Maree is stunning and it was so nice to be there on such a sunny morning. I headed from here up the road, firstly passing stone valley (climbing area), before darting onto a easily missable track that took me all of the way to Gairloch.

the rideable bit
This trail was great, and just continued to get better and better. Such lovely forests to cycle through. At Gairloch I had a quick spin on the beach before heading North out of town on the road. Even with these road sections I was already thinking that this ride was far better than the Ben Damph circuit which really surprised me!


It wasn't long before I got to the Tollie Path (the old road to Poolewe) and headed off road again. The initial few mile of this to the high point was brilliant, almost all rideable. Just a fantastic piece of trail...
swim in loch Maree
But then came the 'rub', you get to the col, or high point with stunning views down to loch maree and set off... and within 200+m its unrideable (boo!). Sadly then it's mostly a long walk with the bike back to Slatterdale. There are short rideable sections, but not much. On one I had a wee tumble, only really winding myself but it was enough of a shock to make me wish I'd told someone where I was riding today!


Looking on the internet it looks like this section of the trail suffered massive water damage 2+ years ago and everyone since has noted how bad it now is - very sad.

But it was still a fun day, and I finished it with a swim in loch Maree, which was surprisingly warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment